Kenneth A. Pettine, MD
Dr. Kenneth Pettine, trademarked the phrase, “Friends don’t let friends get fused,” founded The Rocky Mountain Associates in Orthopedic Medicine in 1991 to ensure his patients have non-fusion surgical options.
The principal investigator for 18 FDA studies involving non-fusion implants, biologics, and stem cells, he is a pioneer in spinal stem cell therapy.
He is featured as one of the top 50 Spine and Specialist Surgeons to Know in America, and is the recipient of numerous honors, a distinguished speaker at national and international symposiums, and the author of more than 20 research publications.
He co-invented the FDA-approved Prestige™ cervical artificial disc, and the Maverick™ Artificial Disc.
Dr. Pettine has an extensive background in spinal surgery, research, and rehabilitation. He is board certified by the Board of Orthopedic Surgeons and is a member of numerous organizations, including the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the North American Spine Society, the International Spinal Injection Society, and The Society for Ambulatory Spine Surgery, which he co-founded in 2011. He received his spine fellowship training at the Institute for Low Back Care in Minneapolis. Dr. Pettine completed his residency and his master’s degree in orthopedic surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. He received his medical degree from the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
His past appointments include: Staff Orthopedic Surgeon and Chief of the Sports Medicine Clinic at Eisenhower Army Medical Center in Georgia; Associate Clinical Professor at the Medical College of Georgia; and Visiting Consultant at the Veteran’s Administration Hospital in Augusta, Ga.
Kenneth A. Pettine, MD
Dr. Pettine invented the MaverickTM Artificial Lumbar Disc and the PrestigeTM Artificial Cervical Disc. Patents for these devices are:
Patent No. 5,258,031 (Nov. 2, 1993)
Patent No. 5,425,773 (June 20, 1995)
Patent No. 5,562,738 (Oct. 8, 1996)
- Coric D, Pettine KA, Sumich A, and Boltes MO. “Prospective study of disc repair with allogeneic chondrocytes Presented at the 2012 Joint Spine Section Meeting.” JNS, Vol. 18:1, pp. 85-95, 2012.
- Pettine KA, Kelly PJ, and Chao EY. “Analysis of the external fixator pin-bone interface.” Aug. 1993. Accepted for publication by CORR.
- Pettine KA and Salib R. “External Electrical Stimulation and Bracing Treatment of Spondylolysis: Case Report.” Spine, 1993.
- Salib R and Pettine KA. “Modified repair of a defect in spondylolysis or minimal spondylolisthesis by pedicle screw, segmental wire fixation, and bone grafting.” Spine, 1993.
- Herzwurm PJ, Walsh J, Pettine KA, Ebert FR. “Prophylactic Cerclage: A Method of Preventing Femur Fracture in Uncemented Total Hip Arthroplasty.” Orthopedics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 143-146, February 1992.
- Pettine KA. “Prospective Multi-Center Evaluation of the Wiltse Pedicle Screw Fixation System for Lumbar Fusion.” Orthopedic Transactions, JBJS, 1992.
- Pettine KA and Salib R. “Prospective Evaluation of the Wiltse Pedicle Screw System.” Orthopedics Today, p. 26, December 1991.
- Drakeford MA, Pettine KA, Eben F, Brookshire L. “Spinal Narcotics for Postoperative Analgesia in Total Joint Arthroplasty: A Prospective Study.” JBJS, pp. 424-428, March 1991.
- Pettine KA. “Association of Anabolic Steroids and Avascular Necrosis of Femoral Heads.” American Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 96-98, 1991.
- Pettine KA, Aamlid BC, and Cabanella ME. “Elective total hip arthroplasty in patients older than 80 years of age.” Accepted for publication by CORR. 1991.
- Pettine KA. “Ingrown Toenail; Non-Surgical Treatment.” Lead article in Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine, November 1990.
- Pettine KA and Stauffer R. “Supracondylar Fractures of the Femur; Long-Term Follow-Up of Nonrigid Internal Fixation.” Contemporary Orthopaedics, pp. 253-261, September 1990.
- Drakeford MA, Quinn MJ, Simpson SL, and Pettine KA. “A comparative study of ultrasonography and arthrography in evaluation of the rotator cuff.” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, No. 253, pp. 11-123, 1990.
- Pettine KA. “The alpha subunit of the human IgE receptor (FcERI) is sufficient for high affinity IgE binding.” JBC. Dec 25, 1990.
- Pettine KA, Wedel DI, Cabanella ME, and Weeks JL. “The Use of Epidural Bupivacaine Following Total Knee Arthroplasty.” Orthopaedic Review, Vol. 18, No. 8, pp. 894-901, August 1989.
- Pettine KA. “Case Report: Internal Fixation of Four-Part Humeral Fractures.” Contemporary Orthopaedics, pp. 49-54, July 1989.
- Pettine KA, Cofield RH, and Johnson KA. “Ingrown Toenail; Long-Term Results of Surgical Treatment.” Journal of Foot and Ankle, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 130-134, December 1988.
- Pettine KA and Morrey BF. “Osteochondral Fracture of the Talus; Long-Term Follow-Up.” JBJS, Vol. 69B, pp. 89-92, January 1987.
- Pettine KA. “A Previously Unreported Cause of Pain After Total Knee Arthroplasty.” Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 29-33, March 1986.
- Pettine KA, Kelly P1, Chao EYS, and Huskies R. “Histologic and Biomechanical Analysis of Unilateral External Fixator Pin-Bone Interface.” 3200 Annular ORS, Orthopaedic Transactions, February 17-20, 1986.
- Pettine KA and Klassen RA. “Osteoid-Osteoma and Osteoblastoma of the Spine.” JBJS, Vol. 68A, pp. 354-361, 1986.
- Pettine KA, Sim FH, Beaubout, JW, and Soule EH. “Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis.” Orthopaedics, Vol. 6, No. 10, pp. 1349-1351, 1983.
- Pettine KA and Salib R. “Femoral Diaphyseal Allograft for Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion.” Submitted to JBJS.
- Pettine KA, Salib R, Akins W. “Prospective Evaluation of Pedicle Screw Fixation.” Submitted to Spine.
- Pettine K, Siman H, Techy F. "Clinical Results of the DSS System (semi-rigid stabilizer) for Lumbar Fusion."
- Pettine K, Megpara M, Techy F. "Why Lumbar Artificial Discs Fail (Home Run or Strike Out)."
- Pettine K, Schraut N, Techy F. "Heterotopic Ossification (HO) following Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement (CADR). Incidence, risk factors and clinical significance."